Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Bourekitas ... The Tradition Continues

Bourekitas, savoury turnovers, have been a part of my family's table for smachot (happy occasions), chagim (Jewish holidays) or unexpected treats for as long as I can remember.  As Nonna (my grandmother) and my mother have spent time with my wife and I showing us the tricks of the trade in the past, we thought it was time to make our first batch by ourselves ... and no better time than for the dairy meals of Shavout!  While we definitely need some more lessons on the shapes, they taste great ... and I guess that's what counts!  Moadim le'Simcha!

The recipe filling:


Filling done:


Recipe for dough from Nonna:


The dough:


The Bourekitas ... Yes, we know, the shapes could be better!


The final product:



Fun Fact:   According to The Book of Jewish Food (Knopf, 1996) by Claudia Roden, Iberian Jews included borekas as part of their Sabbath meals as early as the 16th century (Stella Cohen adds:  Most likely blending the Spanish empanada with the Turkish borek after the Spanish Inquistion led the to the Ottoman Empire).

Other Sephardi delicacies:  Pastelicos, Burmwelos, Masapan, Reshikas, Roskas, Pepitada
_

1 comment:

Unknown said...

They look pretty good! Benichas manos!