Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Big Boy, A Scouser & Fathers

Keren's arrival in our lives has quite obviously changed a few things. The one thing that slipped my mind was brought to my attention by my sister, who visited Israel with her fiancee this past week. When I commented on what a big boy Nissim is, she wisely said, "He only seems big now because you're comparing him to Keren. Remember, he's still a little boy." My lil sis made an important point - I may subconsciously be looking at Nissim as a 'big boy,' but in fact he's still that same happy and curious 2.5 year old he was before Keren was born.

***

Before the start of 7th day of Chag (Passover), I ran to the nearby 24-7 supermarket to buy some ingredients so that Talya could make albóndigas (meat balls). While waiting on line, an old man looked at my Liverpool shirt and asked, "What's your connection to Liverpool?" "I've been a fan since I was a little boy," I answered, "And you?" "I'm from there," he answered proudly. Jokingly, I ensured that he wasn't from the 'blue half' of Merseyside before wishing him a Chag Sameach. Despite a reputation for the opposite, Jerusalem really is quite diverse ...

***
As there's not enough time to write about a mishna from each chapter of Pirkei Avot (which Sephardim & Mizrachim start reading this upcoming weekend) this year, I'll just link to the blogs I wrote during the cycles of 2008 and 2010:

Chapter 1: 2008, 2010
Chapter 2: 2008, 2010
Chapter 3: 2008, 2010
Chapter 4: 2008, 2010
Chapter 5: 2008, 2010
Chapter 6: 2008, 2010
_

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mazel tov to you and your wife on the birth of your second child! I was at a dinner party at a friend's the 8th night of Pesach and met a guy who is good friends with you. I forget his name. I told him you'd dropped off Fb but he said you're still active. For some reason I can't find you. Anyway, I hope all is well. My last year has been a strange and in ways amazing journey.
Always best,
Hallie