Tuesday, September 07, 2010

The Elders

On the bus to work today, I stood near an old man. Three younger people were sitting down next to him. After a few minutes, I told the man, "I'm sorry none of them have offered you their seat." "What can you do?" he responded, "That's how it is." After the next stop, a few people got off the bus and as he went to an open seat, he smiled at me and said, "Maybe He heard you."

***

On the bus ride home, I sat down reading my book about Entebbe. I glanced up and saw an old man by the door. I asked the girl sitting next to me to ask him if he wants to sit down. "I'm getting off at the next stop," he responded. I told the girl, "They always say that and remain standing until their stop." She wasn't so convinced and surely enough, within two stops he was off. She then asked me, "Does this mitzvah (respecting the elderly) only relate to Jews?" I responded, "No, it's important we treat everyone with respect. As Hillel said, the Torah stands on the principle of treating a person as one would want to be treated himself." My stop was next, she thanked me and said, "Shanna Tova."

***

So I wish my readers, friends & family a sweet, healthy, happy, peaceful & prosperous New Year. May we improve our abilities to respect our fellow man - be it a family member, a friend, a neighbor, an elderly person or a complete stranger. May we learn to be appreciative of the many blessings showered upon us daily. May we find peace in our private lives and on our holy land.

שנה טובה ומתוקה לכולם
_

No comments: