Sunday, June 04, 2006

Osirak - 25 years later

Below is a really awesome 40+ minute special on the bombing of Iraq's nuclear reactor back in 1981 by the Israeli Air Force. Quite an amazing story, with one particular quote standing out:

"I felt that Ilan Ramon, who was my wing man, and myself were gonna be killed and couldn't share the information with my wife or anybody else. I remember that I came to peace with myself on the day of the mission because I'm named after my grandfather, who had died in a concentration camp. And I felt that I'm flying for him, and there's some calm in it that you know that there's a meaning to whatever happens to you"
Lt. General Relik Shafir




"Let the world know that under no circumstances will Israel ever allow an enemy to develop weapons of mass destruction against our people. If ever such a threat reoccurs we shall take whatever preemptive measures are necessary to defend the citizens of Israel with all the means at our disposal"
Menachem Begin - minutes after the IAF destroyed Osirak in 90 seconds on Erev Shavout, 1981 (25 years ago)

No comments: