Monday, May 29, 2006

Say It Before Tomorrow

My daily 45 minute trek on Jerusalem buses back and forth to work usually includes some much needed 'quiet time' with the MP3 player. Yesterday's play list included P.O.D's Youth of the Nation, which seems to have been 'inspired' (if you can call it that) by the sadly all too common shootings plaguing US high schools. The opening two sentences of the song are extremely powerful:

Last day of the rest of my life I wish I would have known cause I'd have kissed my momma goodbye. I didn't tell her that I loved her or how much I cared or thank my pops for all the talks and all the wisdom he shared.


It got me thinking - if one was to go in the next few minutes, would your loved ones know how much you cared? How much you appreciated their love and guidance throughout your years on this planet? It's a tough question to answer. Most of us live our lives expecting to be here tomorrow, putting things off based on our 'knowledge' that tomorrow will come. In the above quoted sentences, there's a truly simple and important lesson to be learned. Let the ones you love know, be it by simple words or actions, how much you care and value their presence in your life. It's such a simple thing to do really ...

On a less serious note - the World Cup starts next month in Germany. For some reason, Israel is the only nation in the world where people will be charged to watch the tourny (492 NIS, about 120 US dollars). This has caused an outcry within the country, and while the price seems to be on the way down now, I for one would rather go to various Jerusalem bars and spend a few sheks on a beer watching the game then to pay the cable providers. Bloody Jews! ;) As for who I shall be rooting for ... The answer is easy, Italy. Forza Azzurri!

No comments: