Monday, August 06, 2007

A Different Goodbye

As I said goodbye to my teary eyed parents today, I walked away from a different goodbye. It wasn't like the goodbyes at Carmel, which left a scared and unsure 12 year old in a foreign British boarding school environment. Nor was it like the goodbyes at Binghamton, where an 18 year old went searching for his place in this world and knew that he'd see his family every few months at the most. It wasn't comparable to the goodbyes before a confident & sure 22 year old made aliyah. This was just different. Waiting for me as I said goodbye to my dear family was the woman of my dreams, my dear wife. As I smiled sadly to her, we started to make our way back home. Family has always been an integral part of my life but knowing that this new addition to the Piha family was waiting there to comfort me softened the 'blow' of saying goodbye to my wonderful parents & siblings.

This past week has been unreal. I don't have any words to do justice to the wedding - it was quite simply a fantastic event and celebration of our love for each other. The week of food and quality family time was wonderful and I can honestly say it has been one of the best weeks of my life. As things settle down, Talya and I are beginning to take the first baby steps of our joint adventure here in Israel. I am looking forward to it ...

1 comment:

IsraLuv said...

may you and talia build a bait ne'eman b'yisrael and hope your family realize that they too need to be here. then you can have the best of both worlds.