Tuesday, January 16, 2007

... and on the Bus

The first bus I take to work is the #7, which is usually packed. Today was no different. However, half way though the journey, a seat became available. As I saw an elderly looking man standing, I tapped him on his shoulder and offered him the seat. Smiling, he refused the offer and said, "I am not old, I am just an adult." As we started chatting, he continued to explain why he preferred to remain standing, "I sit all day, so why not enjoy some time to stand up?" As he prepared to get off the bus, he told me his age ... 80 years young. Impressed to say the least, I thought to myself that if I get to that age, I hope to have that same positive attitude that he displayed in the brief few minutes our paths crossed ...

2 comments:

Avram said...

Grumpy or fiercely independent and proud?

Bassam Sebti said...

That's so nice of you, Avram. You know, I always did the same when I was in Iraq. However, I found something weird here in the US. On buses, people don't give there seats or the empty seats to the elderly! They even sit on the seats that are allocated for the elderly and the handicapped leaving the elderly stand!!! I can't say it's the same in alover the US but this is very obvious in Philadelphia where I live now.

Anyways, I am like you. I would love to be as healthy like the man you met on the bus.

Bests.